Rifaximin is an antibiotic drug belonging to the class of rifamycins and has bactericidal activity, it is able to kill bacterial cells. This is you first-line defense in case of a bacterial infection that is hard to shake off without a drug.
Xifaxan has rifaximin as its active substance. Rifaximin is an antibacterial drug used to treat the following conditions (the list is not full):
• Acute intestinal infections caused by both Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria;
• Diarrheal syndromes, including IBS;
• Adjuvant in the treatment of hyperammonemia (ie the excessive content of ammonia in the blood).
Furthermore, when used at higher doses, rifaximin is used in the treatment of adult patients with liver disease to reduce recurrences of overt hepatic encephalopathy.
Rifaximin performs its antibiotic action by interfering with DNA transcription. More in detail, rifaximin is able to inhibit bacterial dependent RNA-polymerase DNA. The DNA-dependent RNA polymerase is an enzyme capable of transcribing the genetic information contained in DNA into a complementary RNA molecule. By preventing the bacterial cell from accessing its genetic information, the various cellular activities stop and eventually lead to the death of the cell itself.
Recommended use of Xifaxan
Xifaxan can be taken both in the presence and absence of food.
- Intestinal infections and diarrhea: 200mg taken with the interval of 6 hours
- Pre and post-operative prophylaxis: 200-400 mg taken with the interval of 12 hours.
- Adjuvant treatment of hyperammonemia: 200-400 mg with the intervals of 8 hours.
Xifaxan use should be carefully considered in case of severe liver of kidney insufficiency.
The drug is known to inhibit the effects of birth control pills, therefore it is recommended to use other means of contraception during the therapy course.
Xifaxan can facilitate certain bacterial infections, in particular Clostridium difficile infections.
The use of the drug is not recommended in children under the age of 12 and should be used with caution in individuals under the age of 18. Ask your doctor to carefully evaluate the benefits and risks of the drug in reduction of relapses of hepatic encephalopathy before you buy Xanax online.
If you suspect you have taken an overdose of rifaximin, contact your doctor immediately and contact your nearest healthcare center.
Rifaximin can induce various side effects, although not all patients experience them. This depends on the sensitivity of each individual to the drug. Therefore, it is not said that the undesirable effects are manifested all and with the same intensity in each patient.
• headache, dizziness;
• nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, abdominal distention, flatulence, constipation, diarrhea, painful intestinal contractions not accompanied by evacuation;
Subscribe to our free newsletter